Wednesday, February 27, 2008

THE fishing hole

I couldn't wait too long to continue from my last post. As much as I may have taken some time to think about the river and spirituality, I was there to catch some fish.

That was the main reason to drive 5 hours [6 if I was legal] and eat my $1.95 breakfast at Kmart in Bishop...catching FISH. Trout to be specific; Rainbow Trout to be particular.

So, after getting skunked at the Lower Owens, driving an additional 40 minutes to the Upper Owens and trudging through knee high snow, I was at the river. It was beautiful.

This part of California is awesome in the winter. Looking west, rising out of the valley were the Sierra Nevada's, COVERED with snow this year. There are also some mountains to the east, and I'm lame; I don't know what they are called. But, this year even they had a ton of snow.

The Owens, just cuts through the valley. Turns all over the place, kinda meandering. The air was fairly butt-cold [at least for a surfer from So Cal]. A crisp 30 degrees with a slight breeze. The sun was out and as I stepped carefully towards the river I saw a trout rising. Now after getting skunked for a couple hours, my heart was doing palpitations seeing a trout rise.

Common sense told me that THIS IS WINTER. I should be nymphing, with like size 20 [freaky small for the non-fishing folk] little zebra midges, trailing behind something else. But, here was a trout rising.

So, even though my pole was rigged, I cut it all off and stuck on a dry fly, caddis something. On the fourth cast, BAM. Fish on. So good. About a 10 inch wild Rainbow. At least as wild as they get here. Beautiful colors. A perfect moment.

I made a few more casts [read: 30 minutes] as I rounded the next bend and saw a big turn in the river. The way the water hit the turn, it pushed left with gravity, but pushed an eddy to the right as well. It was a fairly large pool, maybe 20X20. What I saw next, seemed like it should be happening to John Gierach or something. Fish rising. EVERYWHERE.

I thought I wasn't seeing what I was seeing. Pockets of fish popping up all over the hole. In the seams, out of the seams, along the banks, in the middle, EVERYWHERE.

So, I just started casting...and catching. In the next couple hours I landed 10 bows all between 8-12 inches. It was magical. To take in my surroundings, and feel like I actually knew what I was doing. It was total Mastercard. I wasn't sure I deserved it, but I felt BLESSED. Fishing doesn't get this good for me or most people I know. I felt humbled and special. I wanted to put it all in a package.

I caught a few more, but felt greedy. I was hoarding. What made the time even better, was actually calling my buddy over and sharing the fun. It's also why, between me and him, it will always be known as THE fishing hole.

No comments: