Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Shalom

This is a messy post, cause I realize that I am wrestling and struggling with the idea of shalom...peace. Though it actually means so much more than just 'peace'...that is just the word that we use to translate the Hebrew or Greek.

Shalom seems to mean a place, either external or internal, that has persistent joy, well-being, harmony, prosperity, love, loyalty, truth, grace, salvation, justice and blessing. I have realized that often in places or times of complexity, stress and anxiety, that I live for the future. I say things like, 'Oh, when this is over, things will mellow out and be OK'. But, I seem to do that a lot.

What I read in the Bible is choosing to live in peace, right where you're at, right in your circumstances. I'm realizing I don't do that very well. I think I'm OK with a bit of angst, or dissatisfaction of status quo. But, I can live in an unhealthy place of 'wishing' things would be different or better, without prayer included in the equation.

Just wishing won't do much. I need to take the steps that God is putting in front of me. It affects my family, friends, and my job. I want to pursue shalom, right where I am...even if things don't change.

I love that in Jeremiah 29:7 God challenges the Israelites to 'seek the shalom of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the Lord on its behalf, for in its shalom you will find your shalom.'

However challenging the circumstances are, we can pray and experience shalom. I know I want that, but more importantly need that.

No comments: